Monday, October 29, 2012

Cloth Diapers: The Ammonia Stink

     Cloth diapers... A wonderful way to save money and help God's green earth as well... But there is a dark side to them... Stink, stench, funk... thats what!!! Man I was dealing with a horrible ammonia problem. What? Ammonia in diapers? Yes...Here is a blog that explains this very thing, HappilyDomestic.
   
      I was washing every 2 days just because I could not stand that smell that was spilling from my diaper pail!!! It was mostly just wet diapers with just a couple that had poo residue on the them( rinsed off with diaper sprayer)... so there was no reason why I shouldnt have been able to make it another day in between washing... Well I got an idea and man what an idea!!! Rinse all the diapers!!! How simple it was. After I changed a diaper I would just quickly rinse it and I found my miracle cure to the funk! Now I can go 5 days in between washes( though I dont typically, just awesome that I can)! I also just discovered this little gem called Rockin Green Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer. Just adding a tablespoon to my pre-wash has also helped a ton.

     Cloth diapering in an art to say the least... There are all kinds of water issues... too soft, too hard... What kind of washer do you have??? I have a front load and I hate it for cloth diaper washing.  Not to mention that it has so much more maintenance than a top load. Not regularly washing the tub can make from stinky anything from bed sheets to towels... Your child's urine out-put can also contribute to the stench, too strong maybe from not drinking enough?... But the good news to all that is that there are solutions out there. Many before me have discovered a lot of solutions and posted them online for anyone to see and try.

     So if you are having a stink issue trying the above tip may save you a headache, well at least save your nose from the funky burn of ammonia ;).                       Happy Clothing!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great tip about the Rockin Green Funk Rock Ammonia Bouncer. I haven't heard of it but it nice to know that they are starting to make some great products to help us cloth mummies out!

    Another great thing to help with the stink is to use wetbags. We have a large one from the GroVia line and it never smells ... unless I don't close it. I simply wash it out with the rest of the laundry. You can see my cloth washing tips here: http://www.themessyorganicmum.com/2012/11/cloth-diapering.html
    Any help in avoiding the stinkiness is good, right?

    ReplyDelete