Tuesday, August 13, 2013

How a well Meaning Comment Reaffirmed my Desire to Homeschool

     

     Most who know my family know we homeschool, but not too many know that we have a son enrolled in the public school systems special education program. We have struggled with a severe speech delay with him and the program has been wonderful and his speech development has taken a drastic turn for the better over the last year. Last Thursday was the first day of school. He goes to the special education campus three days a week for a couple of hours. I wont lie, I enjoy those couple hours because that boy can be a handful, but that is another post. ;) 

     Well, I went to pick him up and the teacher's aide handed him over to me and gave me a very wonderful comment... "Hayden is one of our favorites." As well meant as that comment was it pierced my heart... It was one of those Awesome/ouch moments for me... While my son may be one of the favorites there are others who aren't. Before you say that she says that to everyone, think about school when you were young... You know there were those who got special treatment for being a favorite...Maybe because of looks(yuck), or the sport you played, or maybe even how well you applied yourself academically...But there were the favorites...And we all know it... 
     
     My heart sank for all the children who weren't the favorite. I put myself in the position of the kids, the parents, and the teachers... I didn't like what I found... I found kids in depressions from not being accepted or with feelings of "I am not good enough"... The " favorite" kids now have puffed out chests and begin to bully those who are not up to their standard... I found parents who were clueless. Their kid's grades are low and they don't know why... The child is trying to tell their parents that she/he knows the teacher just doesn't like him/her and the parents just brush the notion off as an excuse... I see teachers abusing their power as roll models... Aren't they supposed to be mentors??? 

     And now I am sure you can at least partly see why I have a problem with that comment... As a mother/teacher I absolutely cannot chose favorites... They are my very own flesh and blood... each one is different and I embrace every difference. I love that it forces me as the teacher to adapt how I am teaching to fit into their needs. That simple comment sent me sailing into confidence in homeschooling... My children's education is more important than where they stand in ranking with other children.... My kids are unique....  


Join me next week as I tell you all what we are doing this year! Until then.... Blessings!
                                                                -Tamra 

No comments:

Post a Comment